Rotary Cutter Care
Keep your rotary cutter rolling along smoothly …
Rotary cutters are certainly at the top of the list as one of the most used and valued quilting tools a quilter possesses. Periodic maintenance keeps it working at its best for you. Recommended maintenance occurs twice during a full-size or larger quilt and after each smaller quilt. To maintain your rotary cutter:
- Gather a soft cloth and some sewing machine oil.
- Take the rotary cutter apart according to the instructions for your specific cutter.
- With the cloth, clean all of the pieces. When cleaning the blade, hold it with your thumb and fingertips to avoid the sharp edges.
- After the blade is clean, place one drop of the sewing machine oil on the center of the blade (or spindle). Make sure not to get the oil on the cutting edge of the blade.
- Reassemble the rotary cutter.
Your rotary cutter will turn more freely and will allow for better cutting accuracy and less hand fatigue.